-5 cups all-purpose flour -3 eggs
-2 cups sugar -1/2 cup buttermilk (or make sour milk
-1 teaspoon baking soda by adding 1 teaspoon vinegar to regular
-1 teaspoon baking powder -1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 teaspoon salt -Cinnamon or nutmeg mixed with sugar to taste,
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg for topping
-1 cup butter or margarine
Makes 6 to 8 dozen cookies.
- Sift flour with 1 cup sugar and next 4 ingredients.
- Cut in butter with fingers, until crumbly.
- Beat eggs slightly and add remaining sugar gradually, beating
- Blend buttermilk and vanilla with eggs, then add mixture to
- Blend well, chill until ready to bake or proceed with rolling
and shaping at once.
- Work 1/4 of the dough at a time on a lightly floured board.
- Roll about 1/8" thick, cut in desired shapes and dip each
cookie top lightly into a mixture of sugar and spices.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) 8 to 15 minutes or until
lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.